Nine years later

In the summer of 2009, my husband Matt and I had been approved to come and work in Ecuador as missionary associates under Joil and Leah Marbut. The year before this, Matt had led a missions team from our home church, to be a part of the construction of the Hope House. After that trip, our lives began to take a turn. We both prayed and felt like God was directing us to come to Ecuador. Even though I had not actually been there, I still felt like God was releasing us to go.

Well it just so happened, that following December, there was a small group of ladies from the states going to bring Christmas to the "5" girls who were in the Hope House at that time. Oh, I was so excited to be able to go to Ecuador and see it for myself, but I was scared too. What if I didn't like it and what if they didn't like me? I was so nervous the whole trip down, but I remember when we finally arrived and walked in the house for the first time. The girls were there and they welcomed us with lots of hugs. We had so much fun that week, putting up a Christmas tree, painting bedrooms, putting new bedsheets on the beds and dressing up for a princess night. I remember the first call home. We went into town and inside a small store, there were these individual phone booths and you paid by the minute to call. I remember talking to my husband and telling him all about what we were doing and finally,  he asked me the question, "what do you think?"  My response was, "I love it." 

Here I am, 9 years later, still "loving it."

So many changes have happened in that time. There is not just the main house anymore. Now, there is a separate kitchen, study hall, library, and music room. The greatest change though, is that this year we took in 55 girls. The house has changed in its physical appearance, but inside, it is still a home of beautiful, young girls who are getting a chance to change their future. A chance to dream and to follow the path that the Lord has for them. I am so glad that He has allowed me to be on that path too! 


In the summer of 2009, my husband Matt and I had been approved….jpeg